Saturday, June 15, 2013

"Beautiful Creatures" Movie Review

I'm the sort of person that can usually sit through almost any movie, even if it's not my cup of tea.  The movie "Beautiful Creatures" changed that for me, it may be the only movie I have set out to watch and have been unable to finish.  I'm not posting a link to a trailer because that might get your hopes up, and as much as I dislike not having anything good to say about a movie (apart from setting, they did a decent job with the location choice), this is one that I cannot recommend.

Within the first 20 minutes or so my youngest looked at me and asked if I was crying.  I replied "No, I'm blowing my nose.  Besides, there's nothing to cry about...except how crappy the movie is."  My oldest said to me just now "all you need to say is that it sucked, that's all you need to write."  I feel the need to say a bit more though.  I understand that movie adaptations have their limitations, film length being a big one, and of course budget constraints.  With that said, they could have done a hell of a lot better with what they had to work with. 

Normally a movie based on a book is always going to leave out someone's favorite part or change something that someone loved.  This movie (and I did watch almost all of it) drastically altered key points (such as the relationship dynamics between various characters) to such a great degree that it was almost a different story altogether.  On top of that the "new" story lacked depth & magic, so that even if you have not read the book, you would probably think the movie still sucked.  I'm really sorry for all the people that were involved in making this movie, what a waste of their time and talent, it could have been so much better without any added expense or time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your opinion!